Monday, November 2, 2009

Ground Zero for India

The past two months have been a bit of a blur, but definitely in a good way! We leave for India in less than one week. I can't believe that the next Monday I see, I'll be in India. There is still a lot to do. I need to practice my lesson, revise my story, and finish getting my shots (kinda imperative). But I'm trying not to get too overwhelmed with those things that my focus is taken off the goal.


We had our final team meeting yesterday, and during the night, we talked about what people say when we tell them we are going to India. It's funny, there are certain questions/comments people always say:


1. Be careful: Noooooooo. I will NOT be careful! I am going to drink tap water, run around bare foot, and never wash my hands.


2. What if you get kidnapped?: Uhhhhh...I'm not coming back? Seriously, I get this question. So if I get kidnapped, here is what needs to happen: Roomie-find another roommate. You can borrow my clothes in the meantime. Please DVR Mad Men for me. Mom/Dad-you can use the Jetta. You might want to take Izzy, so she doesn't end up sold on Craigslist or end up thrown onto Richmond Ave. Nizzle and Jenny-Find someone to run my marathon. I did NOT pay $100 to not have someone run 26.2 miles. Jordan, Deets, and Jen-Find a new "event planner":) That pretty much covers it.

3. Don't move there/bring home children: For some reason people say these hand-in-hand to me. I mean isn't that an either/or question? But rest assured...I'm coming back...Rodeo season is coming. And I'm not bringing babies back; I don't think my suitcase is big enough. Now if anyone has an extra one I can take...

4. It's going to change your life!: Really? That's a lot of pressure! What if it doesn't? What if I like my life? Isn't that kind of selfish? Those thoughts keep running through my head.

What I think will happen (and of course...it's what I think will happen) is it will change my outlook on life - or expand the outlook I have. We are very blessed, and I don't just mean America, I mean me! I know that I'm blessed to be able to pursue a career or pick up and go when I want, and if I need/want something, I can pretty much take care of it. I'm blessed to have family and friends that truly care and put up with my eccentricities.

I realize that we can't comprehend the destitution or want in other parts of the world or even our own city. Have you driven by 3rd ward lately, or ever? I anticipate that my understanding of this will increase, and my heart as well; that I will remember that while I worked for my money, it is not mine; and that I am no more important or worthy that the little kid in line with his mom at the grocery store paying with food stamps.

My outlook has already changed some. I thought I always understood what humility truly was. You know, the kind where when someone says, "Good job," you simply blush and say it was nothing. The past two months I have truly felt humbled- and not just in preparation for this trip. I've looked at my life and everything I have, and everything that has been entrusted to me, and I can't believe why I am chosen for these things.

My family and friends have given unselfishly over that past couple of months. I can't believe I have people in my life that care that much. I've had random people come to me and ask about our trip. I'm amazed at how people I don't even know are praying and thinking of us as we prepare.

Thinking on these things made me think on other areas of my life, namely those of leadership. Somehow, somewhere, someone thought I'd be a good addition to the leadership team of my class and for our high school students. I know that I am in no way worthy of the leadership positions I'm in. I used to feel like I was just a gopher/punching bag for teenagers and/or 20/30-somethings (which oddly enough is not that different from each other). But I loved seeing everyone having fun at an event or seeing plans come to fruition. We are called to serve, and that's how I felt. Leadership is serving others.

Then, a couple things happened that expanded my understanding of that. First, I heard a lesson from a friend of mine that reminded me that people are watching. He said that even when we don't know it, people are watching. Some are waiting for us to screw up or fall. Some are looking to see what makes us happy. And some looking for guidance. No matter who you are, someone is watching you. Who is it? Your niece or nephew? Your friend or co-worker? I'll let you mull over how inadequate that makes you feel.

Second, one of my high-school girls came up to me and asked where I was one day. Simple question, right? Man, it brought me right back to that lesson. Who am I that I am entrusted with serving these students? These are the kids that will one day lead others. I know I definitely feel that I fall short of being worthy to serve this generation. I hope that they know I love them and adore the time we spend together. I love that they challenge me and encourage me to grow in my walk, so that I can serve them more.

In short (or long), I just wanted to send a big thanks for everyone that's thinking of us over there and that has contributed to our trip! We'll be blogging about all of our adventures. I'll put the blog link on my facebook!

3 comments:

Debi Dallmeyer said...

Our blog will be posted here... http://www.redeemedgirl.org/blog

Raley Family Blog said...

Hey Debi,
I am excited that your departure day is almost here. I do pray that the Lord will work in and through you in a mighty way. I have experienced this many times and I will tell you that at first you think that you are going on mission to help and serve and be a blessing to someone and yes that is true but you will find that you will be blessed and changed in and through the process. Have a great time and take in every moment. It is an amazing thing to be chosen by The Most High to do His work in another country. I can't wait to see what the Lord will do during this mission to India. Love, Alicia

Gayle said...

Debra,
How exciting that you are finally on your way to India. We will be praying for you and the people you will come in contact with that all will be open to the love and grace of God. How mighty and trustworthy is our Lord!
Alicia knows how it is when you are the one actually going to a foreign country. We believe we are all on a mission no matter where we are. Some are called to foreign soil(as our daughter and her family were called to Africa), some are called to their family, their work place, their friends, basically any place where we can share God's message and love for others. When Alicia and Mark first began going to Africa, we had no idea what God had in store. Little did we know that He would not only help others through them, but He would grow them closer to Him. Through praying for them and trusting God, we, too, grew closer to God. When they returned each time, they would share their experiences with us.Such blessings and eye-opening experiences! Now that our kids have moved to Africa to be full time missionaries, God is continuing to show us His faithfullness as we continue to trust, love, and walk with Him.
He will give you the strength you need and the words to speak at the perfect time. We can hardly wait to hear all God does on your mission trip. Our minister just returned from a mission trip to India. He will be sharing how God worked through them with us this evening. We will be thinking about you on your trip.
Love,
Bobby and Gayle