Sunday, July 12, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

This week I turned 26 years old. I am officially closer to 30 than to 20, and as my cousin so graciously told me, I better get married soon or no one will want me! Luckily, I've never really listened to his advice.

So do I feel older? Sure, I guess. Am I freaked out? I think I've had these mini revelations of, "Wow, I'm really 26." But for the most part, I'm more excited! I'm excited for a new year.

And more than anything I'm thankful. I think it's a natural progression that we reflect on that past year when our birthdays roll around. Women, we sit and count our laugh lines, check to make sure we still are wrinkle-free, and measure the year's success on whether or not we fit into last-years party dress.

I think this has been a year of great change for me. I won't go into details, but this year's celebration was full of joy and tons of friends. I truly felt blessed for all the wishes, but most of all the time my friends took to celebrate with me.

The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense. - Proverbs 27:9

Through the week, I did however, realize that there are a lot of things that are glaring signs that you are older. Here are a few:
  1. You know you are old when you say things like, "Man, we really needed that rain," especially when that rain is on your birthday.
  2. You know why you don't feed the Seagulls.
  3. You drive down the seawall, see a sign that says "Party Beach," and you keep on driving.
  4. Upon arrival back from Galveston, you immediately wash your car.
  5. You sit around with friends and somehow the conversation naturally turns to your 401K.
Anyway, thanks to everyone that helped make my 26th birthday the best I've ever had!!

No comments: