Monday, March 28, 2011

Better to have loved and lost...

My Uncle Red's secret to a long life was,"Tobasco sauce and fried chicken." My Uncle Bud's advice includes, "Sales'll kill ya." My babysitter, Ms. Lupe always made sure we ate our lunch and taught us Spanish.

I have been very fortunate to know some pretty spectacular and wise people. One of those wonderful people, Mrs. Lupe Gonzales passed away last week. This amazing woman watched my sister and I, and almost every other child in the neighborhood, from the time I was born until I could stay home alone.

The idea of no more Ms. Lupe boggles my mind. Ms. Lupe is no longer here to watch children, to talk about the Big Bad Wolf in the attic, to make Lupe-males, and to hollar "Gatos Pintos!" (I really hope that's not a slang term for something bad!) She loved the Lord, and I know she is running on streets of gold and hugging her daughter and husband that entered Heaven's gate before her. I am not sad for her. I am sad for me and sad that I probably took her for granted so many times.

She was approximately 94 years old. No one knew her actual birthdate, which adds to the mystery of this fairytale-like woman. Wife of one, mother of 3, and influencer of thousands. I wonder if this caring, yet hard-nosed woman knew how much she impacted our lives.

And just like Edward Bloom's funeral in Big Fish when all the people he helped came to wish him goodbye, Ms. Lupe's "kids" came to her side to tell her we loved her and to thank her for all the effort and time she gave us.

The last time I got to speak with her, 3 days before she went home, her mind was still as sharp as it was 27 years ago. When I walked in the room, her eyes were so joyful and thankful, and in a short whisper, she just said, "Debra." She told me stories of when I was a little girl like it was yesterday, and I was the only girl she ever watched. And when I left, I hugged her, and she told me, "It's going to be OK, mija."

I have been so fortunate to know some spectacular and wise people. I have had to say goodbye to some, but I have to remember that God will always put people in our lives that bring us joy. We have to cherish them and cherish their memories. I will always miss my Ms. Lupe, but it is better to have loved and lost...

No comments: